Friday, February 18, 2011

Bittersweet Ending

It seems to be a common theme with endings...bittersweet. Especially when saying goodbye to a loved one. A very sweet friend of mine, Terri, lost her mother today after a long battle with cancer. Although this friend and I don't talk or see each other as often as either one of us would like, I'm aching with her today. At the same time there is much rejoicing going on as her mom is no longer in pain, but instead basking in the glory of her heavenly Father.

To know Dyanne Mize was to love Dyanne Mize. A mom to three girls, she was a second mother to countless others. Whether she was hosting a dozen girls for a sleepover for her daughters or chauffeuring us all to the pool, she was a guiding light for many. She wasn't just the sweet mom of your friend, but the kind of mom that wasn't afraid to put you in your place too. So, yes, there were times when I rolled my eyes behind her back...just like I did my own mom. That may sound bad, but really it just means I knew she was right and that I respected her discipline, opinion and advice. I'm not sure many folks could have spent any length of time with Dyanne and not come away respecting her.

It wasn't until she became a grandmother that she earned the affectionate name Mama Dy, a most appropriate title. By that point in time, she had served as a second mom to dozens of girls (and probably a few boys too!) I'm grateful for the fond memories I have with my sweet friend and her family, especially Mama Dy. Thanks for being a sweet mom and friend to those who knew you. There's a definite void in this world without you here, and you will be greatly missed. But, as your life and couragous battle taught us, we must put our hope in the Lord. There we will find our strength.

2 comments:

Lindsey Brackett said...

What a lovely tribute to a wonderful woman and a challenge to me to be that kind of mom to all the girls (and boys) who will be in and out of my house and care over the next several years.

Sue Ann said...

Such a sweet and fitting tribute to a wonderful woman!!!