Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Bigger the Better

So, I mentioned in a previous post that I was planning to try out my new giant cupcake baking pan, and I'd share the results if it wasn't disastrous. Thankfully for everyone (but especially the birthday girl that received the giant cupcake) it turned out great. My sister-in-law gave me the cool cupcake pan for my birthday last month. Technically it was a gift from my brother and sister-in-law, but I know how these things work and she totally picked this out.

After reading the instructions, I went to work using one of my new favorite recipes, Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake. Here's how it all started:


Here's the bottom and top, all sprayed up and ready for cake batter!


I split the batter pretty evenly, although I'm thinking I could've used a little more in the top. The instructions say to make the biggest cupcake you'll want to use two boxes of cake or two recipes. I only did one, so my cupcake wasn't quite as tall. The piece you see on the far right is for use when you want to add a filling between your top and bottom cupcake layers. You spray the inside and place it over the bottom pan.



This is how the bottom piece turned out. You see it's not quite to the top, but there is a nice indention for that yummy peanut butter filling to rest in. I forgot to get a picture of the top, but it had a big peak in it like a normal cake or cupcake would, so I had to cut off that to even the surface for optimal placement of the two pieces together. But, the extra cake I lopped off was perfect for crumbling right into the bowl of leftover frosting. Just one of the perks of being the baker!

So, here's what the cupcake looked like after I evened the top piece, filled the indentation with frosting and topped the rest of the bottom edge with frosting. Next came the full frosting.


It already looks good enough to eat, but don't stop there! It's time to embellish...



Happy Birthday, Kim! Due to a feverish little one, I didn't get to cut into this yummy confection with you and the gals. Hope it was a sweet as you!

No comments: