Monday, January 24, 2011

Sometimes

Sometimes the best laid plans go a wry. Sometimes we don't get to do things the way we want to do them. Sometimes it's probably a good thing that I don't get my way. Sometimes I wonder how I survived the day in one piece.

In these times, I am reminded that I'm not in control. I was reminded tonight at my weekly bible study* that we must be willing to allow God to use us. The last several weeks of our study on Genesis have been dedicated to Abraham. I grew up singing "Father Abraham." And you probably remember the words too: "...had many sons..." I also can recall hearing the story of Abraham and his wife Sarah conceiving at such an old age. And, there is of course the example and foreshadowing of Christ's sacrifice when Abraham is called to and is willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. I know I'm not a biblical scholar, but I guess I would have guessed Abraham could have been covered in one lesson, right? Thankfully, there is so much more to the story. What a joy it has been to study the life of a man who truly walked with God. Sure he strayed from his faith relying on his own a few times, and those were great lessons to learn as well. But, his testimony honors God, and it shows God as faithful and true. It was a bit sad to say goodbye to Abraham this week. We're moving on to his son, Isaac and grandsons, Esau and Jacob. Sometimes you think you know what a book is about, but then you realize there is so much more there. What a blessing!

*a brief plug for the Community Bible Study that I participate in: it is a non-denominational ladies bible study that meets at 7pm on Monday nights in Clarkesville. We are currently studying Genesis and would love to have you join us. Let me know if you need more information.

1 comment:

Lindsey Brackett said...

I'm looking forward to this in the fall.