Wednesday, May 25, 2011

From Woe to Woah...and everything in between

I've missed blogging so much these past couple weeks. I have lots to catch up on here, and my ultimate plan will probably include post-dating some entries over the next few days. So, what's been keeping me from blogging? That's the worst part, it's been normal stuff.

Part of it probably had to do with traveling to Chattanooga three out of four weekends. The most recent trip to honor and celebrate the life of Josh's uncle. As hectic as those weekends were, we value the precious time we were given to catch up with family we don't get to see all that often.

Then last Sunday night, Sam woke up overnight with a fever and the sick cycle began. After 36 hours of fever off and on and an unusually cuddly baby, he seemed to bounce back with a returned appetite on Tuesday afternoon. Although it seemed to begin rather routinely, Wednesday morning is a total blur. Within an hour or two of waking up, Jack was falling asleep while watching Super Why. I can't say I was surprised to find him running a fever. I dosed him with motrin and raced to grab a shower knowing I was in for another mopey, clingy day. I dried off just in time to witness Jack having a febrile seizure. It was his first ever, and even though I knew what it probably was, I was spooked. After a visit from the local EMS, he began to perk up. Needless to say, it was a low-key, lay-on-the-couch kinda day for Jack. By Thursday afternoon, we'd figured out he had strep, and he'd turned a big corner by Friday afternoon. But the cycle wasn't over yet, Josh developed fever and an intense headache during the night Thursday. So, Friday was spent trying to stay out of dad's hair and allow him to rest. He finally started feeling a little better Saturday evening.

Playing nurse had me exhausted. I was able to get lots of laundry done, but didn't make it to get groceries until today. No surprise, we've had an unhealthy share of carry-out, fast food & quick-fix meals over the last couple of weeks. My house is of course a wreck as well.

This week has been about getting back on track, and the blog is no exception. I've been having trouble keeping straight what day of the week it is. My Monday night bible study has concluded for the year, which always signaled the start of the week. With the boys being sick, we missed the last day of school and the end-of-the-year program. Then this week, the boys and I went to Athens Monday afternoon to spend the night with my parents. The trip allowed me, my sister and brother to have dinner together, just the three of us. A rare treat, indeed...especially now that my sister lives in Germany. Jack had an early morning dental appointment Tuesday morning that went really well. Then we headed home. So, if you see me around town, do me a favor and remind me what day it is. There's a good chance that I have no idea.


kp said...

yeesh; that is so scary about his seizure...i'm so glad he's ok! get some rest.

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about everyone being sick, I'm sure Jack's seizure was scary! Hope you avoided catching it.