Monday, August 11, 2008

Another year gone...

Well, today's my 29th birthday. I'm not really sure how to feel...proud that I'm a young and vibrant 29-year-old, sad that my 20s are almost behind me, exhilarated that the best is yet to come or a combination of all of the above.

I have to say, I guess I have a lot to proud of:
  • FAMILY...I have a wonderful family. I couldn't be more lucky to have found a wonderful, loving and hilarious companion in Josh, and I couldn't have imagined such a joyful, precious and entertaining child than Jack. I was also blessed with a fabulous set of parents who taught me so much and are such a huge reason I am what I am these days. I'm incredibly proud to have such a great and caring big brother and sweet sister-in-law. My baby sister, who's not so much a baby anymore, continues to amaze me with all she accomplishes. I couldn't leave out my wonderful grandparents, who make me proud every time I think about all they've made for not only me, but also my parents.
  • EDUCATION...I graduated from high school and college. For anyone oblivious to my fanatical attitude each fall, I graduate from the University of Georgia. When I hear the folks talking about how tough it is to get in to UGA and their grades and scores, it makes me proud to have graduated from such a great college, with lots of help and support from those listed above!
  • CAREER...While I'm currently on a hiatus from what most would classify as a career, I enjoyed several years in a couple of different positions in the Public Relations & Marketing fields. I'm proud of the things I was able to accomplish with the organizations for which I worked. Although, I'm doing some things here and there, my full-time job these days is one I'm most proud of...the role of mom!

I guess I have a few things to be sad about:

  • FAMILY...I have some family members that have passed on during my 29 years. Although I have wonderful memories of each of them, it saddens me to think Jack will only get to hear stories rather than feel hugs and kisses from each.
  • EDUCATION...I have to admit, my final semester of college I couldn't wait to graduate. Most of that probably had to do with the fact that I had just gotten engaged to my lovely husband and was ready to be working, married and begin our life together. Now, I think about how great college was! The two years that Josh and I were both in Athens were some of the most fun times. How sad that they are behind us, right? Don't get me wrong, college is hard work, but it is also a lot of carefree fun with friends.
  • CAREER...I was sad to leave behind my last job. The college I worked for was great and my colleagues the best. I had accomplished a lot there and had to leave pieces of my hard work behind.

Of course, I have a few things to be exhilarated about:

  • FAMILY...In just 8 short months, I've watched a tiny, helpless baby become a little personality with funny faces and glimpses of independence. It's exciting to have the privilege to watch Jack grow up. It's happening so fast already, but there's so much to look forward to!
  • EDUCATION...I'm pretty sure I'm done with the education stuff for a while, at least higher ed. Don't get me wrong, I'm learning new things everyday, but hopefully no more tuition (at least not for me...now, Jack? That's another story). It will also be exhilarating to one day pay off all student loans (mostly Josh's). It's also great to be able to have the opportunity to learn through reading and interacting with others.
  • CAREER...Who knows what the future holds for me and my career? Will I return to a full-time job? The uncertainty is thrilling, right?

So, I guess if you ask me how does it feel to be another year older, I'd have to say I feel proud, sad and exhilarated...all at the same time!

Oh, and don't worry I'll be back to posting cute and funny stories about the kid soon enough. Hope this photo-less blog wasn't too boring!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday. Aug. 11 was already special before you were born because it was the day I started with the Banner-Herald in 1969. What I remember about 1979, Aug. 11, is the doctor announcing, "It's a little sissy girl!" Your thick, dark hair, and I remember our pastor, Hugh Goolsby coming to see us in the hospital and being so proud of you. That has not changed a bit. Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Laura! Love, Nancy

Carolyn said...

I hope that you have had a great one. Next year you can start doing what I have done and celebrate the 1st anniversary of your 29th...it keeps you young that way. Happy Birthday!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was great!