Tuesday, August 5, 2008

JOSH FINALLY SPEAKS (and learns)

(READ THE FOLLOWING AS IN JOSH'S VOICE)
Ok, Ok...I realize that I've been back from Honduras for over two weeks and I'm only just now getting around to blogging about the medical missions trip. It was amazing. I had a good time with some great people. Our team of 6 physicians saw more than 1500 patients in 5 days.


What I learned:

1) Honduras is a beautiful country (as the picture adequately portrays). If we can get the infrastructure improved a bit, I'm ready to retire there.

2) I learned and relearned humility. I've told this story several times since being back, but I cannot get out of my mind an elderly woman in her 80's who walked through mountainous terrain for 6 hours overnight to get to where our clinic was to be held. Upon arriving, she went to the end of the line and waited patiently for 5 hours until it was her turn to see a physician. Instead of a complaint, she cried and thanked us for being there - a pretty humbling experience.

3) I learned lessons regarding a heart of servitude for my return home.

4) I learned what true need and poverty are.

5) Finally, I learned that the word 'nudo' in spanish is not what you may think it means. 'Presentacion nudo' was a sign posted in one of the classrooms where we held clinic one day. When everyone had been seen for the day, I thought it would be funny to live up to the sign on the wall. Unfortunately, I later discovered that 'nudo' is the spanish word for 'knot.' Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a picture of the Nudo State Champion?

Anonymous said...

Hooooow many roads must a man walk down?.......