Monday, February 2, 2009

When it all comes together...

Yes, this is my stove; and No, I'm not kidding. I guess I was on a roll from my double batch of lasagna on Friday and our Sunday chili for the Super Bowl Party with the Sunday School class. This afternoon/evening was one of those moments when it all came together so I just had to share.

A little bit of background (you know how I tell a story...lots of details!) I usually go grocery shopping on Tuesday mornings while Jack is at Early Steps. Josh usually works in the ER on Monday evenings and leaves the house by 7:30. The combination of these two realities means Monday night dinner is usually whatever I can scrounge up and fix semi-quickly. Typically, spaghetti, chili or leftovers. Well, since we had just eaten lasagna and dined Italian on Saturday, spaghetti was right out! We ate chili at the Super Bowl party and the fridge was barren of leftovers (since we ate lasagna for lunch!) I found some chicken breast tenderloins in the freezer and defrosted them in hopes I receive some light bulb idea. My typical use was not an option (chicken parmesean). Then, I remembered I had potatoes that could be mashed and some english peas. Homemade fried chicken tenders, here we come! I have a great recipe for a simple breading and a method that produces crispy tenders that aren't burnt, but I must confess I had tried it a few times without great results. For some reason, I gave it another go and tonight's finished product was a success! Josh was even psyched to take the leftovers to work for his middle of the night meal. Anyway, as everything was on the stove. I couldn't resist the photo op for my Project 365, which is going pretty well. I do think it's funny that even when I don't take a photo of my child that day, I still end up with a photo of my child!

After dinner, Jack & I quickly jetted off to Bible Study, well he played with Andrew & James, while Andrea & I headed to Bible Study. Again, what wonderful friends! Since Josh works on Monday nights, Andrea insisted Jack could come over while I joined her at the study. I'm so glad she did. The study was great. It's so neat to meet new people and hear their perspective on God's word. I was so hesitant to join the study because our Mondays are so hectic...trying to fix & eat dinner and spend quality time with Josh before he leaves. While my family is important; I realized tonight I was being selfish with what I considered "my time." When really it's all His time.

I think for tomorrow's 365 photo I'll take a picture of my kitchen sink! It's been a mess since Friday. I've run the dishwasher twice already and still have a mess of work to do! Anyway, that's my main reason for ignoring it tonight...I need a photo op for tomorrow! So, even when it all comes together...it doesn't really all come together. Case in point, what my child was doing while I was frying chicken fingers. He found some juice in the pantry and managed to roll it into the dining room (without me really noticing either!)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Not the main point of your post, but such a reminder I needed that "my time" is really "His time". Thanks, I needed to hear that.