Friday, September 10, 2010

The Rules

I know some rules were meant to be broken. Most of us gals raised in the South were probably brought up with a certain set of rules. ie. With your arms at your sides, your skirt should always reach your fingertips, etc. One of the rules I feel like my mama ingrained in me was "No wearing white after Labor Day." As a little girl, this usually applied to my Sunday dress shoes. The ones that had made their debut on Easter Sunday (and not a second before). Labor day approaching always signaled the retirement of those pretty white shoes and the welcoming of a pair of black (usually patent leather with a bow and strap) Sunday shoes. I still smile when I spot a little girl at church with similar shoes, especially when they are complemented with a pair of white lacey dress socks...folded down, of course.

Anyway, I have a pair of long white shorts that I wear all the time (at least once a week, sometimes more if they are clean). It certainly doesn't feel like Fall yet, and I hate to pack these go-to shorts away for the next several months. Is this one of those rules that is meant to be broken or at least bent these days? Tell me the truth, ladies. And, share with me what rules do you remember your moms passing down to you that you still carry with you today?

6 comments:

MB Shaw said...

Funny, I was gathering all of my favorite summer-white items to take a picture of for 365...

I say, absolutley NO WHITE SHOES, and NO WHITE OUTFITS that you have to wear white shoes with. Everything else is fair game until the first day of fall. :0)

Heather N. said...

I agree...white shoes and white pants are gone til next summer. Although, I don't own any white shoes, I have several pairs of pants that I will be missing very much!

Another mama goldie...girls don't call boys!

Carolyn said...

I have a favorite pair of white pants that I hate to put up too! I do however have some winter white ones that could take the place. Who came up with these rules anyway is what I want to know!!!

Lindsey Brackett said...

Just know that the white Sunday shoes of the Brackett girls are getting packed away and the blacks and browns are coming out! I don't know why I feel like I have to follow that rule, but it just seems right :) I think it's a throwback to that post I had in spring--if you pack away summer fall temps and that gorgeous football weather will come more quickly!

Kim said...

Since my white pants didn't fit this summer, arggg, you wont be seeing me wearing white into the fall either. However, Hailey will be wearing white shoes to church tomorrow. Mostly because I haven't been able to go shopping to get her ANYTHING for fall yet!

kriswalls said...

I'm a rebel ladies! It is too hot in the deep South for the little women of the Walls' house to put away our summer stuff like little white dresses and white shoes. We will push it as far as we can- like the first frost!- J/K!
As for "rules" for girls I could write a whole blog entry... my dad sent me to cotillion classes- he was to afraid that in a house full of boys I would turn out less than dignified. -He was right to send me, although I don't know how much of it got through my thick skull. :)