Monday, April 16, 2012

Still here...I think

As usual after a more than brief hiatus from posting, I'm not sure where to start. I have dozens of posts floating around in my head and never enough time to commit them to print. So, this may be a bit of a rambling of sorts, but I guess you are used to those if you follow the blog with any regularity. And, if you do, I'm sorry for being MIA. I'm thinking that's sort of a good description, no disrespect to my military families, but I've been in a state of constant action for some time now.

When someone asks how things are going or what you've been up to, do you ever reply, "we've just been busy." I feel like that's become a too often used response for me. And lately, I feel like I must have been misusing it previously. I'm relying on my calendar so much to get me to the right place at the right time these days. I'm still managing to find my way to the shower each morning without a reminder...you can thank me later.

I've heard dozens of speeches and read more than a handful of blog posts about busyness, time management, etc. in the past. I give my husband a hard time for never telling people no, but this time I'm finding myself over extended. I tried following the one major commitment and one minor commitment rule of thumb. I was asked a few months ago to serve on our church's Pastor Search Committee. I had to do some serious praying about it, especially since I'd heard it had taken the previous committee three years to call the outgoing pastor. God reassured me that He'd take care of all the little details, and I shouldn't worry about things that hadn't even happened yet. I humbly accepted the nomination. We've begun meeting weekly, I was recently named the secretary. I think it's safe to say this is my major commitment.

And, I'm okay with that. I'm already experiencing a tremendous amount of spiritual growth from my time spent in prayer with the team God assembled. I know that I have skills that lend themselves well to the role of secretary, and those weren't given to me by accident.

My problem is with the minor commitments. They're sneaking up on me, and all at once. There's organizing crafts for 4 dozen preschoolers and kindergarteners for VBS in two months. I know that seems like a long way away, but that's a lot of stuff to cut, prep, etc. Or managing website/facebook pages for a couple of ministries that I'm involved in. Or deciding it'd be no big deal to throw a party in the midst of t-ball season. I love each and every one of these projects and on their own they are minor commitments, but together they are making my head a jumbled mess...not to mention my kitchen!

I keep thinking this is temporary, but I have to remember that as much as I want to help people and be involved in the ministries I love, if I can't give them appropriate attention then I'm really doing them a disservice. Sometimes you have to step back and pray. God may have someone else in mind to aid these ministries, but I'm too busy hoarding all the opportunities. So, all this is really to allow me to process my own thoughts that have been swirling for a couple of weeks. Obviously, blogging has taken a backseat to all my busyness. Not just writing, but reading too! It disappoints me when I don't make time for blogging. It's one of my favorite things.

So, be patient with me. I'm reorganizing my priorities, my brain and my time. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing to balance all the things you do.

Salena said...

All us moms can totally relate! Like you, I also served in the church. I was on the nominating committee for three years on top of helping in SS. It was a very humbling experience, and I enjoyed it most of the time. The last year of my term I was even the chairperson. I agree that God gives us all gifts, and it is an honor to use them for His glory. Hang in there!

Sarah said...

I will be praying for you. I served on our pastor search committee, and while it was a wonderful time of spiritual growth and learning for me, it was also hard work and draining at times to manage everything. The Higgins kids would love to host the Garrett boys any afternoon you need a break! Just call me!

Lindsey Brackett said...

You left out making lots of yummy breakfasts and coordinating baby showers! It is so hard to say no to the little things and I love your point about hoarding. You are truly one of the most generous people I know. Love you!

Lindsey Brackett said...

You left out making lots of yummy breakfasts and coordinating baby showers! It is so hard to say no to the little things and I love your point about hoarding. You are truly one of the most generous people I know. Love you!

black tag diaries said...

this was a beautifully written post... and obviously, i'm a bit delayed in reading... but none-the-less it was just what i needed to read this very moment... thank you:)